Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Mother's Day
















When I think back to celebrating Mother's Day I remember bringing mom breakfast in bed. Mom was never a big breakfast eater so as long as a good, hot cup of black coffee was served she was happy. We showered her with gifts, and cards, and love. I have fond memories of celebrating this day with my mom.

My day began with a little four year old coming up to my bed with Daddy carrying a breakfast tray behind her. Her face lit up, grinning from ear to ear. I wish that I had a camera at that moment so I could remember her expression always. "Happy Mother's Day to you" they sang, and she couldn't wait to show me the Mickey Mouse card she had for me. I quickly ate my breakfast, took a few sips of my still hot Starbucks, and tended to a crying infant who wanted his breakfast too. Then, I called my mom because I knew that my day would be so jam packed with excitement I didn't want to forget. Unfortunately, my husband was so busy tending to ME that, even with my two reminders, he forgot to call his mom. (Sorry Ronda) Alyssa had to talk to Grandma and tell her a secret that her and daddy were planning, and I heard my mom ask if Maddie helped with breakfast. Her response, "Of course not, she's sleeping". Alyssa was so excited all day. I think I have her preschool teachers to thank. She was told to make her mom feel like a Queen, and when your "4" you do what your teacher says. Maybe I could give them a few more suggestions of things to tell my four year old.

Nick took Alyssa to church with him, so I only had two kids and myself to get ready. We made it to church 15 minutes early, which is never an easy task. The message was great, one of Nick's best ever. I went to both services, working in the nursery for one, but with an infant I didn't get to hear much. So, I get to listen to it online and maybe you will too. http://www.easthillsalliance.org/.

After church Nick sent me home. When he got home with Alyssa, he had all the fixens for a picnic lunch. We went to the park and I enjoyed watching the girls play. Maddie absolutely loves to swing. We have a small play structure with a swing outside, and I'll send her and Alyssa out to play. Lately, she doesn't want to go out with just her sister, she stands at the door and says, "Come". I try to give her a good reason why mommy can't come out and push her on the swing but she just gives me those puppy dog eyes and I can't say no. She does the sweetest little shy grin that melts my heart.

Just a little sidenote here: PLAY WITH YOUR KIDS! I have a lot to say about this but I'll save it for another post.

We left the park and had our Sunday naptime. Carter didn't cooperate, but since it was Mother's Day Nick tended to his needs and I slept. Where did the phrase, "Sleep like a baby" come from? I woke from my pleasant slumber and took the girls outside to play while Nick made dinner. I just have to brag on him a little because he is so amazing. The girls and I came in and had some egg roll appetizers at a candlelit table. Maddie and Allie just wanted to blow the candles out which was funny. Then, we had salmon New Orleans, twice baked potatoes, steamed asparagus, sparkling grape juice (which Maddie would drink and say, "More'n"), and homemade butterfinger icecream. I just have to add that Nick and I laughed as we tried to enjoy a dinner with 3 kids. Nick's comment I think was, "Part of the sacrifice of being able to celebrate Mother's day is that you actually have to have kids". As in the background of our beautiful, fabulous dinner we had a fussy baby, and two needy girls.

We ended the night with Alyssa still asking when Mommy was going to get her presents. I went to get a movie and when I came back Alyssa said, "How was your trip?". I said, "Fine". She continues, "Now you get a backrub". "Oops! Don't tell Daddy I told you". Nick had written in a card that my gift was a day of pampering while he watched the kids. He got all the kids to bed and we settled down and watched a "chick flick" of course. It was a great day.

I wonder if Alyssa will remember this day. How excited she was about everything. Each day my kids get older, I can't believe Carter is already 4 months old. As I was able to sit back, relax, and enjoy this day I was also able to treasure my children. Some days I busy myself too much and worry about things that are not important. When my children our older I hope that they remember the times I played with them and the fun we had. I hope their memories of Mother's Day are as fond as mine are.

Thanks mom for all the good memories, "I love you!"

5 comments:

Wobegon Cottage said...

yes..play with your kids they grow up way to fast. I believe there was also a donut or sweet roll with my hot, black coffee. That is a weakness I have and don't get to enjoy as often any more. love you too!!

Marcia said...

Carter is 4 months old already? Where does the time go? My goodness. What a great post, Michelle. I'm sure it's challenging to get out and play with Maddie and Alyssa while you need to take care of Carter too. And kudos to Nick for doing such a great job on Mother's Day! (And I love your comment about giving Alyssa's teachers suggestions. :)

KathyB. said...

I am constantly amazed at how very much Alyssa looks like the little Michelle I knew! Just looking at pictures of her brings to mind you!If she is even half as smart, talented, and pretty as her Mommy, and loves Jesus, she will live a happy and successful life!

CALAH RONZHEIMER said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CALAH RONZHEIMER said...

Wonderful post, Michelle, I wish we were closer because I think we would encourage each other. I cherish these days with my girls and I can hear this groaning inside begging that I won't forget many of these special times. It is so cool to be a mom! =)